Sunday, March 11, 2007

Publicity

Oops. I'm doing it wrong. HUGE surprise, since I do everything absolutely perfectly.

Blue Moon Communications publicist Theresa Myers (who in her other life writes romance novels) gave a fantastic talk on media training at my RWA meeting. I learned...if I ever do need to go on Regis & Kelly (hey, it could happen if I win the lottery or something) I need to call her first. Seriously. I am a fidgeter of the first order, and I'd have to learn how to squelch that before doing an interview.

She has a great series of articles where you can see all the ways I've represented myself poorly. Professionalism has never really been my 'thing'. I'm much more comfortable hiding my shyness behind cracking jokes than acting like a lady at tea. I mean, I check my mail in my socks, people! I NEED to twirl a curl of my hair to keep from going crazy. Let's not even get into my mad desire to tell the most uptight people a truly bawdy joke. I can't stand to be around people who aren't smiling, so I always go for the cheap laugh.

What about you? What are the things you'll have to squelch when you sit next to Oprah?

5 comments:

Author Dara Edmondson said...

When I'm on Oprah (which my mother and my husband swear will happen someday) I'll have to learn to eliminate "Um" from my vocabulary. When I practiced a library workshop I did a few months ago, my husband (a seasoned Toastmaster) counted 20 in a 40 minute presentation. Um...that would be bad!

Melissa Blue said...

OPRAH! AAAAHHH! Stopping myself from doing that if I ever get an interview. Saying Um when I'm nervous. Acting like a complete airhead, like totally and lastly talking with my hands.

Jennifer McKenzie said...

I hate to admit this, but the desire to cuss might overwhelm me. I can see it now. Oprah is asking me "Where do you authors get your ideas?"
And I won't be able to help myself.

Evanne Lorraine said...

Jenna,

Off topic, but I thought you'd like to know your Modern Xtra - Cooking Up a Storm was mentioned on Tessa's I heart Presents blog as an excellent example of what fans want in a heroine.

Marcia, Your Confidence Coach said...

i think you have been misled by the "experts". being a professional means getting the job done.
just be yourself. people find "real" people refreshing.