Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Ask Kate Walker : On the Pink Heart Society Yahoo Group

Harlequin Presents & 12-Point Guide to writing romance author, Kate Walker is holding an open forum Q&A on the PHS loop. Check out some of the great conversations going on ::

Rachel asked :: I'm having a real dilemma with my heroine's name. Do you have any personal guidelineswhen choosing a name? Will an editor take one look and say 'no way'if she doesn't think the name works.
Michelle Styles answered from experience :: If a name does not work for an editor, they will ask you to change it.
Kate answered :: I have to say that I haven't had Michelle's experience with names (and in 51 going on 52 books, I've never repeated a name either - not sure how long I can keep that up!) The only time there was ever any bother with a name was when - in one of those amazing coincidences that happen - another author and I both had the same, unusual name for out heroine. And the books were out in the same month!
What really matters is that you have a name that means you can tell her story - an editor is not going to worry about a name if the story is vivid and emotional and the writing style carries her through.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just have to say this, I've known Kate for around 6 years and she is one of the most generous authors, who gives so much of herself to new and upcoming authors, I'm amazed.....how does she do it all? Write, read, wife, mom, travel, lecture, etc. She is such a role model and I'm proud to call her my friend!

Unknown said...

She is so warm and generous. I don't know how she balances it all...wait...I should ask that!