Monday, May 29, 2006

You Can Do It!

I picked up this book a little over a year ago - it's a merit badge handbook for grown-up girls. The vision of Lauren Catuzzi Grandcolas, You Can Do It! was begun by Lauren before her death on United flight 93 on September 11. Her idea was to empower every woman who's ever said "I wish I could..." to go out and do it. I liked that step-by-step style, the beginning and end of it all. I thumbed through everything...and then did the two most comfortable (for me) -- Be An Author (write a book) & Get Well-Read (book lover).

I'm feeling reflective, what with the family issues and my thirtieth birthday. Am I the me I want to be? Sometimes. Today was good...until I scarfed down a cheeseburger, even after working out for an hour this morning. I loved that I read, that I played with the Boynadoes (golf, bowling, & air hockey), baked for breakfast.

So...now I'm going to commit to doing a few more You Can Do It! badges. Bust A Move (dancing), Exercise Your Options (fitness), and Stretch Yourself (yoga). Three at once? Well, I'm multi tasking. Exercise requires cardio (dancing), strength training, and stretching (yoga). I started well. Today was 45 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of yoga.

I should be doing Be An Author again...I still haven't started Drive Me Crazy...

1 comment:

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Thirty is that time I also began reflecting. I've worked for years to be the best "me" I can be. It's always a work in progress. But then, writing, for me, has always been an excercise in self discovery.