Wednesday, May 10, 2006

OPENING LINES

Nothing is more frightening than a blinking cursor on a blank page. Well, there is the blinking cursor 40,000 words in and you don’t know what happens next. But that is a special kind of terror.

I’m talking about the first page, where do I start, hurdle. Heck, the first line could be the difference between “interesting” and “HACK!” I’m in good company with struggling to begin. Unless inspired and writing in a fervor, most writers approach the starting line carefully, and with a large gulp.

That first line can catch the readers attention or set the town for the whole story – hopefully both. So to procrastinate starting (editor wants me to wait for the decision on the current mss) I looked back on the first lines of my stories:

JUST ONE SPARK - Scanning the line for the third time, Hannah crossed her legs tighter and tried to concentrate.
BREAKING HIS RULES – That’s what you get for opening you big mouth, David Strong said to himself as he pulled his baby blue Corvette Stingray in front of Working It Out.
STRIPPED - “I need to see it.” Kelly Nielson took a deep breath, hoping her voice didn’t shake.
THE GIRL SHE USED TO BE - Ben Cannon knew better than to take a midweek flight into North Bend.
IF YOU SAY SO - Tyler McNally’s heart stalled in his chest.
FOR KICKS - “You need to put some clothes on.”
COME FOR DINNER - The gunmetal gray sky outside his office window mocked him.

Reading friends – which do you prefer?
Writing friends – I showed you mine, now you show me yours :)

14 comments:

Angela's Designs said...

Don't have my books on this computer, so can't as writer because I don't have the first lines memorized anymore. At one time I did. LOL.

"Ben Cannon knew better than to take a midweek flight into North Bend." - Absolutely makes me wonder why he knew better.

Jodie said...

I like STRIPPED opening line *hehe* Mind is in the gutter!

ok Mine:
~My paras~
Fallen into Darkness: "Screw him."
A Dark Embrace: She was going to die

~My historicals~
A Devil's Proposal: "He's so handsome."

His Unexpected Bride: The Marquis of Rutledge groaned as he watched his mother drag yet another young debutante in his direction.

Laura Rose said...

I love the opening line to C4D. Wanna see mine...

Tantaliser: "It’s every woman’s fantasy, isn’t it?"

One Foot Forward: "He was going to die of complete embarrassment."

Can You Keep A Secret?: "It was like being called to the principal’s office."

The Devil's Veil: “You can’t expect to go in there unnoticed.”

Something About Maggie: "Flying half way across the world made Jack Lion want to puke."

Great post Jenna!

Anonymous said...

"You need to put some clothes on." That certainly grabs your attention }:)

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Very timely for me, Jenna. Thanks for the encouragement btw.
I love the first line "You need to put some clothes on." That was killer.
My new opening line is "Jessica Logan chewed a nail and stared at the three boxes UPS just delivered to her apartment."
I know, yuck.

Kelley Nyrae said...

I have changed the beginning of my WIP three times already! Its so hard to get it right. I want to make sure I grab the readers attention. I think I'm considering changing it again! We'll see.

Paula said...

Oh this is such a good topic. I love first lines. Here are a few of mine....hope you like.

Wolfe Investigations Inc 1: The Statue of Osirius - Wendy Melbourne stared wide-eyed at the empty glass case.

Night Stalker – She felt his hot breath sticky on her neck, smelled the rancid stench emanating from him.

Broken Cowboy – Seamus Walker just couldn’t accept the fact some city slicker woman bought the ranch next door.

School of Hard Knocks – This is the fourth time this month.

Bride for Hire – “Let me guess, runaway bride?”

Charisma Lost – Life sucks!

Frankenstein Meets His Match - Sex toys lay all around the room.

Pleasure Dome 1: Allyrhia’s Rescue - She could feel the orgasm about to slam through her body.

Toodles :)
Paula Beaty
www.paulabeaty.com
www.paulabeaty.blogspot.com

Julie Cohen said...

I like the "For Kicks" opening line the best!

Am I dreaming, or have I written a book called "Being a BAG Girl"? (In your reviews of MX sidebar?)

Is that sort of like being a junior bag lady? ;-)

DD Blackman said...

For my first story You Know I Love You: "Damn, that's a fine brother," she mumbled to herself.

Karen Erickson said...

I love a good first line! And there's nothing worse than laboring over one...ugh.

Loved "You need to put some clothes on." So intriguing!

Here's mine on my current wip:

“Okay, who's ready to play hide and seek?”

Being a Bag Girl cracked me up! I would like to read that one, Julie...

K.A.S. said...

I liked FOR KICKS - “You need to put some clothes on.” (Who does, and why?)

My WIP -
Nilana fled under the full moon.

Lis said...

Great opening lines. Loved the one for Stripped :o)

Unknown said...

Ah, geez. Made the bag girl bed. I need a blushing emoticon.

Trish Wylie said...

I like the For Kicks opener too... can't wait!!!!

Being a bag girl... roflmao...

And my breakout novel The Bridal Bet - the one RT liked ;) started:
"Yes, I am still standing at the bottom of the ladder and yes, I am looking up your dress."

Mmm... Can you tell why they thought I should jump from Tender to Modx???