Sunday, May 28, 2006

Publishing and other enigmas

I'm in a bummy mood. I'll spare you the saga. Let's just say there is a reason why I write light and fun.

My writing pal, Julie Cohen, is blogging this week about the path her latest release took on the road to publication. Julie can now understand something I have yet to grasp, how an editor can see flaws in a synopsis. I'm hooked, and it's only Sunday.

How can an editor reject a story on synopsis? What flaws can you see in a book that you missed three years before? And seriously, what is the deal with a chicken named MacNugget?

4 comments:

Jennifer McKenzie said...

I'm clueless as well. I'll have to follow Julie's blog too. We'll see if I can improve my syno writing enough to get a bite at SIM.

April said...

I think it's more a concern over their reasoning being based on something they really object to in the story, or something they infer, because I can't write a synopsis worth a toot!

Fiona Lowe said...

Hi,
I haven't peeked at Julie's blog yet but I would hazard a guess that one reason a synopsis is rejected is because there is not enough conflict to last the book. Or the synopsis hasn't shown the emotional growth of the characters.
FWIW
Fiona

Karen Erickson said...

Delicious is my favorite out of the three Julie Cohen books I've read. You'll love it, Jenna. Especially now that we're learning the background of this story...