Thursday, January 25, 2007

You know what my problem is?

The very thing that draws me to romance novels, is what makes it so difficult for me to write them. I am all about the happy ending. Kissy-kissy, smoochy-smoochy, hearts-and-flowers kind of marshmallowy goodness. And then I have to pull it all apart.

I have 3 novels going at once for this very reason. One is nicely plotted and seems great on paper - but I can't find a way back from the black moment I planned. Oh, I have one, but my heroine would not forgive him, she's just to stubborn and prideful, so I worry....and then another has half that conflict and angst and I wonder if the black moment there will just be a passing cloud? The third has no plot, no arc, just a single scene between two sisters.

Starting seems to be the hardest part of writing for me. I know the whole Butt In Chair principle, yet my mind wanders. I love these people. I don't want to put them through the bickering and nastiness, even if they are better for it in the end. And yet, I must.

Tomorrow I will pick one and stick with it all the way to chapter 3. Maybe by getting into the story I will layer in a way so that reaching the dark place isn't so tragic for me.

No comments: