Sunday, January 07, 2007

Take Some Time And Get To Know Your Characters

This was my takeway from my last chat with the lovely editor. She knew I would be starting a book before she had a chance to read my latest attempt, so we were talking in generalizations about what bit of advice she wished all authors would take to heart, and that was it. Get to know your characters.

Fiona Lowe called to dish today and she hammered the point home, reminding me to make sure the characters get to know each other. Don't rely on secondary characters too much or your story looses oomph. My word, not hers.

I feel prepared to start the new story tomorrow, but since talking with Fiona I did some more getting to know your character stuff...took myself on a tour of Henry's house. I can even peak in his medicine cabinet!!! I did the worksheets from First Draft in 30, as well as my own method...Point and Click character development. Just think...tomorrow I have to put up 2 tickers. One to start out Redesigning Henry, and another for PHS's Writers Weight Loss Group. (groan).

1 comment:

Janet Ch said...

Here's a good workshop to help with character stuff
http://www.crusiemayer.com/workshop/