Saturday, September 30, 2006

Who Knew!

In complete deference to my I Feel Pretty fluff post...I was on Julie Cohen's blog and she pointed us all to a site that was discussing her fab book, Being A Bad Girl. All the romance blogs I've ever seen have been done up by authors, either social or promotional. This...this is educational!

Teach Me Tonight looks at romance novels from the academic perspective, showing the symbolism in Being a Bad Girl or the metaromance as seen in Nicola Marsh’s Contract to Marry. Fantastic!

There is also a Romance Wiki set up to collect scholarly bits on the genre.

Who knew!!

6 comments:

TJ Brown said...

I sure didn't! I wonder if you get grants to study romance novels or stuff like that. Probably not in Oregon though:)
Teri

Laura Vivanco said...

Eric Selinger, who set up the blog, teaches at DePaul University, in Chicago. And he did get a grant, from the Romance Writers of America, to do some research on romance novels. The details of their research grant are here.

Hope you don't mind me popping in like this. I followed some links and ended up here, and I'm really glad you enjoyed the posts about the novels by Nicola Marsh and Julie Cohen. I'm planning on doing one about a Betty Neels novel soon.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Mind? Of course not! Besides I have friends who have elevated Neels to cult status :) They'll appreciate the heads up!

Edited because I can't type.

Laura Vivanco said...

Great! I'll come past here and let you know when I've got it done, then.

Laura Vivanco said...

I've just finished the analysis of Betty Neels Discovering Daisy and put it up on the Teach Me Tonight blog. Hope your friends enjoy it.