Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Mommy Track

Wednesday was all about my babes. Not a stitch of writing. Which makes me feel intensely guilty, hence why I am posting this when I should be sleeping. I just...should have written today.

But there was the Children's Museum (where I got to show off my skills at face painting and making animals out of clay) and then my boys fave restaurant Sweet Tomatoes, and then we came home and played a few rounds of Dinosaur Dominoes before HubbaBubba announced he wouldn't be home until late so there would be no evening write.

I'm always saying you don't have time to write, you make it. Yet today, I didn't make time. I did have a great day (save the uber-late Hubba). Got to chat up Karen, hang out with my cousin, and laugh with my boys. Except for BabyBoy's bathroom incident. That was NOT funny.

I know that when I turned in my career keys and opted to stay home with my boys, I was officially on the slow moving mommy track. In the slow lane since I wasn't even trying to balance work and kids. But now that I am working again, albeit on my own schedule, I feel guilty when I don't. When I am pulling off to the shoulder instead of moving on.

I'm glad I have the flexibility to take days like this - even though being beaten at dominoes by a three-year-old is hard on the ego. But I also wish I had more support to work. I wonder...daycare gets something obnoxious like a dollar a minute when you are late picking your kids up...so he owes me...$145 so far. That ought to cover a lot of postage and contest entries! ;p

4 comments:

April said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Even if you didn't get to write. And $145 should go quite a ways with postage :-).

FYI, the photo host where we had the wordflirts button died. So we had to move it. But it's back up on our site if you want to link.

Anonymous said...

Ed's school charges more than a buck a minute - they do $30 for the first 15 minutes, then another $10 for every five minutes beyond that... oh, and it's per child - makes the whole idea seem very lucrative to me.

Don't kick your own arse so much, you'll end up with funny, inexplicable bruises...

Karen Erickson said...

Yes you have wonderful face painting and clay animal making skills. :) I'm typing this one handed cos I have Jack in my arms...

I can't write either - too dang tired. :)

Tempest Knight said...

Maybe you didn't get to do a lot of writing, but you got to spend time with your kids. They'll grow up fast and leave you. So cherish those moments with them. Writing will always be there.