Saturday, September 23, 2006

Alpha Males - Arrogant or Confident? Proud or Conceited?

I haven't written an alpha male in a while. I am a gamma girl all the way. Even though my MX heroes are considered alpha, I think of them as baby alphas, alpha gamma straddlers. Wow, that sounds like a fraternity. Anyway, Curtis, the hero in Cinderella doesn't straddle. He's alpha. all the way.

Why? Well, it was his choice really. But in my last two Rs, the stories were lacking emotion...and watching an alpha get his come-uppance (aka 'the black moment') is emotional. As is not liking the hero as much as the heroine does.

But...when is it too much? I'm wondering if I've crossed from MX into Modern/Presents territory with this hero. Hmmm.

HER CINDERELLA COMPLEX :: Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter30,053 / 60K (50.1%)

4 comments:

April said...

I like both types of heroes. I haven't done a great job with making my heroes alphas. They tend to straddle the line too. Good luck with getting him just right!

Unknown said...

The only person who's read the story wants to slap & kick him. Seriously, she's having an INTENSE reaction to him.

Anonymous said...

You've read how many MX books now? I'd say you're probably the best one to judge that. As for your reader... maybe she's just not an alpha loving girl ;) ...

Trish Wylie said...

JENNA SAID "I'm wondering if I've crossed from MX into Modern/Presents territory with this hero"

Then having just come back from London I'm gonna tell you to keep going ;)