Tuesday, February 05, 2008

So I read a book...

A genre that I would normally never read..urban fantasy.

My friend Maggie and I carpool to our RWA meetings each month. Before winning this book, she'd never read urban fantasy, and neither had I. She is a romantic suspense lover, while I tend to stick to the lighter, sexier stuff. Still, when she told me I had to read this...I figured I'd better!

We're talking Las Vegas superheroes battling it out on alternate planes of reality. I can barely handle this reality, why add another?

I have no idea...but I read this book, all 400+ pages in 2 days. I couldn't stop. The Scent of Shadows (Sign of the Zodiac, Book 1) by Vicki Pettersson had me from the premise, and I just had to know more. So much so that now I want the next book in line.

Like most series, there are two 'heroes' and one heroine...again, not my thing...yet it worked. The premise alone is enough to have you flipping the pages every chance you get. The characterisation was wonderful, but I hope the plot is tighter in the next installment.
What's that? Yes, I am. I am going to step outside my box and read another urban fantasy. Here's hoping it is a good as this one.

Have you ever read something so good is surprised you how much you liked it?

1 comment:

Gwen Mitchell said...

Hi Jenna -

I swung by to check out your TT (linked from RD) and it's funny - I just finished the second book. My spoiler-free review of both is on my Livejournal. I liked the second one better - but Vicki is definitely not a 'romance' writer. Still good though!