Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Erotica - not just for e-pubs anymore...

My friend Amanda brought up some good points on her blog today.

"Other than Steven King's famous foray into exclusive ebook content, the erotic
market really blazed the trail in e-publishing. Why was that? Probably because
NY wasn't publishing really hot romances and the e-realm was the only place to
find it. Also, it's a lot easier to go online, give a credit and anonymously get
your hot sex fix in the privacy of your own bedroom than it is to go into your
local B&N and get it in person."

With traditional publishing houses grabbing hold of the erotica market and it's most marketable e-publishing authors, will e-pubs need to ride the wave of a new trend? What do you think it could be?

4 comments:

Tempest Knight said...

I've read some of those so-called erotic romances that NY publishers are trying to put out, but honestly, they don't compare to the level of heat you can get on epublishing. IMHO, epublishers allow their writers to play around with ideas and go into areas you've never ventured before. In other words, they allow you, as a writer, the freedom to explore your characters' sexuality. No holds barred! *wg*

April said...

Great question... Epubs really broke ground and ran with the erotica and I agree with you about the reasoning. So I guess the big question is what other genre or whatever would be benefited by that sort of reasoning?

Does that make sense? It's late and I'm not sure it made a lick of sense...

Karen Erickson said...

I've read a few eroticas pub'd out of NY and they were pretty good. But most of the authors came from epub first so...

I've found that I can come up w/ some off the wall plot idea and know that as long as it's written well, my pub would probably buy it. Meaning they aren't afraid to take risks, which is cool.

Where is epubbing going next? I have no idea. Paranormal is huge, huge HUGE but also full of erotic elements. So I really don't know...

Great post - loved yesterday's too about Grandma and who you're writing for. I'm busy all day yesterday and the blogs are hopping with good stuff! :)

Unknown said...

I agree that the best traditional pub erotica so far seems to come from e-pub divas, who still produce for their e-pub houses because, like Tempest said, e-publishers allow them more freedom.

I'm thinking YA will be the new e-pub revolution. The age groub is so techno savvy, and I want them reading, not playing video games :)