Wednesday, July 26, 2006

About That Business Plan...

Yeah, well...I've written a business plan before. Loved it each time. But I'm balking at the idea of my writing being a business. I know, I know..your name is your brand. But...I'm just a chick who writes stories. Sure, I idolize VLT, but I don't have the time right now! I mean, BabyBoy refuses to potty train, BigBoy can read (I've caught him) but won't let on, HubbaBubba works so hard I have to push him out the door to play golf for a release, and have you seen my house? No? Well, lemme tell ya, it's filthy. Well, 2 rooms and the garage are clean, but for the rest 'lived in' is being kind.

So...what I want my career to be in 10 years and what I want for it for the next 10 are quite different, which makes this business plan thing rough. but here goes:

Mission Statement (who you are) : I want to write sassy, fun romance novels with a quirky edge.
Vision Statement (who you want to be) : I want to have a few books each year make it on my readers' keeper shelves.
Industry Research (the market & your place in it) : I'm lucky that Mills & Boon decided to create a line for what I like to write and read (it's all about me, not their own industry research, decades of experience, and readers pleading)...this was luck, timing, and perseverence - not industry research. That said, I think I can weave humor and sensuality in a quirky way this is a bit different.
Company Description (your strengths) : My dedication to category romance isn't a passing fancy. I'm addicted. I want to be a longtime category author, with enough titles to fill an 'other books by' page. I'm determined, and undaunted. Well, rejections sting, but don't deter me. I'm also able to brainstorm ideas, revise stories, and write quickly.
Money Tree (fees, dues, computer, internet, postage, supplies, classes) : Oh, this is comical. There is no money. Heck, I'm proud that I had money left over from my last advance (after I paid DH back for the list of things I've spent on in the name of seeing my name on a book) to buy a fridge when ours conked out. But now I'm back to having to ask for everythink I can't squeeze out of my grocery budget. There is no money.
Action (timeline) : 2006 -

  1. Submit every completed romance novel until it sells. (every one is under consideration but If You Say So)
  2. Complete 4 more novels and submit them as well. (only Cooking Up A Storm so far)
  3. Enter 3 contests. (Romance Junkies, Great Beginnings, ...)
  4. Attend 1 RWA conference. (Emerald Valley - October)
  5. Lead 2 workshops (RD's Targeting Category Romance - May, eHQ's NaNoWriMo - November)
  6. Submit short stories for pay if possible, publicity if not. (3 published this year)
So...according to my business plan I'm doing great in most areas - except money and writing new novels this year. Hopefully the money table will turn if I write more :)

Up next... Laughing, Bad Ideas, and Working Your Core

1 comment:

Laura Rose said...

Cool...wanna write one for me while you're at it? ;)