Friday, September 15, 2006

The Results Are In!!

Well, kinda. My lovely editor called with her opinions on my synopsis blitz. There was some good news, kinda.

I sent off four stories:
  • Just One Night - Heiress tries to be anonymous for a night, and it doesn't work.
  • Redesigning Henry - Personal trainer tries to pay back a friend, by making him into her perfect man.
  • Only Fitting - Fashion designer can make anything, except a life for herself.
  • Everybody Loves Rachel - Rachel knows exactly what she wants from a man, and she won't compromise.
Just One Night got the nod... except... the syno I wrote and the story in my head are two very different things. We chatted it up and realized...I can not write a syno. The joy. Anyway, she explained what she liked about the syno (great meet, good structure) and what she didn't (the ranch, father, best friend, liver transplant, and beard all have to go). So...now I'm starting over with the title and a first scene that is fun, but doesn't have enough motivation.

What was wrong with the others? I didn't put strong enough motivation or conflict in my synos. Oh, and dentists & chubby guys aren't sexy.

Off to percolate for the weekend, and see if I can come up with a new story, titled Just One Night. What of Her Cinderella Complex? I refuse to syno it. I'm not any good at synos anyway, and I like not knowing what happens next. For me, once I syno the story is static, hence why I am so flustered over having to re-do the Just One Night idea. I'm completely infelxible once I have the story mapped. Until then, bring on the penguins.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dentists aren't sexy? Heck, if Jan Springer can make a hero gyno sexy, anyone can be!!

Unknown said...

Oh..he's sexy all right. Just not for MX right now. I need to sell two more MX so I can switch to ST for a bit and show y'all.

Karen Erickson said...

Dang, the dentist got kicked to the curb. You can make it happen, Jenna, I have faith in you.

I hate synos too. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Redesigning Henry sounds a great story. I'd buy it just from the idea you posted.

Janet Ch.