Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Plot? Or Not?

BB Medos had a great Romancing the Blog post yesterday about plot, and what draws readers to books. I'm a plot-driven writer, the set-up comes to me long before the characters. Lately, I've been thinking this is what is 'wrong' with my writing, but this post made me realize -- there is no right way to write.

Plot is what draws me to books - the location, set-up, characters careers. And so it only makes sense it is what draws me to the stories I write. Simple enough.

It may be easier to write from characters first -- after all, so many of the prolific and successful writers do it. Maybe someday I'll learn to. But right now, odds are a funny title or weird article will catch my attention faster than a character study.

What about you? Are you driven to the characters in stories, or is it the set-up that draws you in? Is it the same when you write?

HER CINDERELLA COMPLEX :: Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter 21,033 / 60,000 (35.1%)

6 comments:

Karen Erickson said...

I've noticed I'm more character driven. I'm working on one right now that the plot came first and I'm having a harder time with it. It's working, but it took a couple of attempts. Made me kinda sweat. Ugh...

Cole Reising said...

Interesting post! I think I actually do a little of both. Now anyhow. In thinking back I'd say I was totally driven by an 'incident'. And then from that the characters, plot and so forth would emerge. But at least on this book, I sat down and said - what do I want? This kind of person? This kind of action? This kind of place? (Well, ok I didn't actually sit down - I was running around after my kids but the whole time my brain was working it out and then I'd jot the ideas down on paper)

I totally agree with you though - there is no 'right' way to do it. I think each of us has to find out own way on that one. And who knows - maybe each book you will find will take on its own angle to completion. :)

Cole

Michelle said...

I am a pantser - probably explains why everything I'm writing so far isn't finished! Well that or the new baby! LOL

Where are you girl? I haven't heard from you re the hockey thing in a while. Hope you are ok.

Did I tell you your cover looks awesome!

Julie S said...

I can't plot my way out of a paper bag. I wish I could; I'm going to try harder for my next book.

Laura Rose said...

You know me, I do both. Most of the time, it's character-driven. I want to create characters you'll remember long after you've finished the last page. Hence Robyn, Molly, Nik... but I love to plot too. Still, when I think of the plotting book, GP, I think of Ellie and Liam and Sam... hmmm...

Anonymous said...

Isn't it up to each writer to write in whatever way works for them? I know Penny Jordan often gets her idea from newspaper article headings, overhead snippets of conversation and the likes and then gradually builds characters that fit the story. And let's face it, she's been pretty darned successful :)

HMB buy your books so you're obviously doing something right, too :)