Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Healthy Wealthy and Wise

A friend of mine did a check-in with herself...and it got me thinking...

HEALTHY :: I had a horrid headache today. I'm back to having them most days. In one way the headaches have been a blessing - after the vascular migraine episodes I vowed to finish a novel, and did - but in most ways they are hurdles that I jump over every day. But, they are hurdles on my path. I can either stop moving forward and look for people to remove them, or I can just jump. When I tried the medical route, I only got sicker and gained too much weight, so I think I'll keep jumping. Being in pain does change how I eat (I try to comfort myself) and limit my ability to exercise (my headaches become excrutiating with movement), so I need to work on separating the positive things I do for my body from the things I do to combat headaches. Can't be harder than writing a novel, right?

WEALTHY :: I'm blessed that Hubba Bubba handles the money. With three kids there never seems to be enough, but we're both responsible enough to be comfortable even with my writing income not as stellar as it once was. We want to get into a bigger house to let the kids spread out, but with the economy and the housing market and our complete lack of DIY ability...it might not happen.

WISE :: Having kids is the best thing I did for my personal adventure in education. They ask the best questions, which has me searching for answers. Over Spring Break BigBoy and I are going to work on chess together - we're a pretty fair match, he still beats me, but it's not a slaughter. Maybe I'll start to win. Though, I'm not sure how much glory there is in beating a 7-year-old.

I've really been working on studying the craft of writing. There are some great articles on the web, and books on characterisation...here's hoping they help! I need to get writing again. Not just passing out partials. Telling a story from Once upon a time to The End. I miss the writing.


What about you? What is your Healthy, Wealthy & Wise list?

2 comments:

Nicole Maki said...

Sorry to hear you are still struggling with migraines. I know how that is and it can really suck the joy out of life. ((((HUG)))) Have you tried diet changes? For me, finding triggers really made a difference - on the other hand, I'm now a vegan which is psycho in its own way.

I miss writing from start to finish too. This is the first time in years I haven't had something out there, awaiting publishing. It's like a piece of me is missing.

Kids and chess. Yikes. My boys trample me!

Anonymous said...

Ooh... Migraines. I have a friend who swears by ripe banana peels for a migraine. I know. But she says it works. One on your forehead, one on the back of your neck. In other words, take two and call me in the morning.