Friday, August 18, 2006

Tripping

A double rejection day. I tell ya, that smarts. Sometimes I feel like I am the only published author this happens to. Then I realize, no, I'm just one of the few who is open about it.

My lovely editor called this morning to let me know that the two books she was considering were not right for the line. I'm telling stories that are too light on the emotional angst. I'm not into books that make me cry, but I'm realizing both JUST ONE SPARK and COOKING UP A STORM have a choking up moment. I didn't have that in either of the two books I turned in. Not having that gut clenching scene made the resolution too easy, and my editor wants the characters to work harder.

She's offered to work with me through the next book. It's an exciing concept. I'm going to write up a handful of synopses, and we'll discuss the pros and cons of each one.

6 comments:

KATZ said...

Wow, Jenna! Talk about good news from a rejection! The editor must really believe in your writing and your voice if she's willing to help you develop a story!
Stories can always be found, voice is special. Way to go!

Julie S said...

Jeez. That sounds like the nicest rejection ever. Your editor truly sounds lovely.

And I vividly remember being choked up during JUST ONE SPARK!!! It was worth it!

K.A.S. said...

{{hugs}} on the R Jenna. What nasty Friday news.

Glad to see your editor is going to work through the next one with you - I've got fingers crossed for you!

Evanne Lorraine said...

Even kind rejections hurt, but look at all the great writing karma you'e gaining with your open approach and sharing your pain.

Any word on when MX are available on eharlequin?

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone :) MX are coming to Oz in October as Sexy Sensation...and then to the US kinda in October 08. Promotional Presents can be MX, Medical, Modern reprints...but the lan is for them to be their own line eventually.

Fiona Lowe said...

Jenna, Hugs!
Great news on the 'working together' though. And on Sexy Sensation. Will love arranging shelves in your honour!