Friday, January 04, 2013

Resolutions Tour 2013: Eat Well with Maggie Jaimeson



Welcome Maggie Jaimeson, author of UNDERTONES to Jenna's Romantic Notions... What are your thoughts on my New Year's resolution to eat healthier?

When I began writing this post just before Christmas, I was sick with a doozy of a winter cold. I couldn’t eat very much because I couldn’t breathe very well. I didn’t exercise at all for two weeks. Guess what, I gained three pounds even though I probably ate less than a third of my usual intake. A lightbulb went off. Simply eating less doesn’t works for me.
 
I’ve been eating darn healthy ever since I did Weight Watchers about two years ago. I cut out breads. I don’t do desserts. My husband (bless him) cooks low fat meals. We have fish at least once a week and usually twice. I’ve always loved veggies and fruit, so incorporating more of that in my diet wasn’t a problem. Yet losing weight and keeping my energy up has ALWAYS been a problem. Yes, I know a big part of it is exercise. But I think the other part is eating well.
 
To do that, I’m reinforcing five rules I learned in weight-watchers that I need to do consistently in 2013 to get back on track

  1. Portion control. Less is more. Plan a small portion and wait at least 30 minutes before looking for more. If I put a big portion on my plate, I WILL eat it without any problem. The next two rules help me keep to portion control.
  2. Don't skip meals. Eating consistently throughout the day provides my brain and body with a steady supply of fuel. It also prevents my blood sugar from dropping, which can make me turn into a b*&#$ and/or my energy disappears.
  3. Snack well. Sustain my energy by planning healthy snacks. Try to keep some nuts, whole or dried fruit or other portable food in my purse, if I’m going out, or at my desk if I’m working at home. For me, I plan a snack between breakfast and lunch and another one between lunch and dinner. Depending on what time we have dinner, sometimes I plan a snack for later in the evening as well. Again, portion control—not the whole jar of almonds, just a very small handful.
  4. Vary my diet. Even if I’m in the mood not to care about what my body needs, I do care about my brain functioning or I can’t write. My brain needs a healthy supply of carbohydrates, fats and proteins, or it can't perform functions that affect my mood and thinking.
  5. Don't over-diet. Eat to be healthy and fit—not to fit into a certain pair of jeans. (Yeah, this one is a hard one. Not that I want to be a size zero—a 12 or 14 would make me ecstatic). Strict food rules always backfire, and I end up gaining more weight or getting sick. The rules have to be something I can live with forever, and that’s a very long time.
Contact Maggie: Website | GoodReads | Facebook | Twitter | Blog

**Thanks Maggie, for your tips on eating healthier. Today I'm blogging with Jamie Brazil, giving my best advice on Shrinking Your Closet.**

8 comments:

Jamie Brazil said...

Maggie, I can totally envision you as a size 12. Your tips are excellent. For myself, I choose almonds -- my least favorite nut. I don't really like them at all. But they are a good mid-afternoon hit of energy when my brain starts to flag. Have you ever experimented with foods and writing? I discovered my muse prefers protien over sugar.

Paty Jager said...

Maggie, I'm the same. I can't just eat less, I have to double my exercise to lose weight. And fad diets don't work. It has to be a balance and smaller portions like you note. Thank you for your great rules.

Unknown said...

There is a theory (Jon Gabriel I think) that if your body doesn't get the nutrients it needs, it stores calories until it does. So eating well is important because if your body is nutrient starved, it will not release the weight. At least that is what I tell myself anytime I have to choose between a pear and a cookie.

Jessie said...

Thanks for recapping those tips for us!

Anonymous said...

Pollidog, I agree that protein is much better and I've been trying to change out my sweet granoloa in the morning for eggs or yogurt three to four days a week. But that sugar high sure gets me started. :)

Honestly, the big thing for me is exercise. I hate it unless it's fun. So, I cut the full Zumba Exhilirate DVD set and I am determined to do it at least five days a week. Anyone up for a private, share your progress loop? I need to be accountable to someone.

Jessa Slade said...

Mmmm, it's pear season here in the Pac NW. We've gotten some really good ones. Half a ripe pear and a slice of cheese is one of my favorite late-night writing snacks.

Okay, admittedly, I usually follow it up with a piece of dark chocolate too. But I swear it's a small piece!

Unknown said...

I don't have the DVDs, but I do go to Zumba classes. It is SUCH A BLAST. Maggie, I just know you are going to love it. Just keep it up and you will be that size 12 within a year I bet.

Unknown said...

I do the classes :) I love when there is a new song, plus it give me a moment to chat with gym friendlies. I have the Zumba games for Wii. I opted for that over the DVDs.