Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Do I KNOW You??

I think I've realized why I've been putting off Drive Me Crazy. Yes, there is the headaches and the pain-killer induced fuzzy brain. But it's more than that. I think all that studying up on the writing process sunk in a bit.

I start all my stories with a concept. Great. But I spend a lot of time fine-tuning my characters motivations in revisions. My writing is fine, story is fine, but my editors have to help me focus the motivations. I have a GMC set-up for Drive Me Crazy, and necesary backstory...but now I'm thinking about changing all of that. (Drive, for those just jumping on this blog, is my Fun girl teaches Bad Boy new tricks book)

I've been pondering Tisa especially. What is her deal...should she have sisters or brothers? This was an entire stationary bike session for me, weighing the pros and cons of her family life. I thought she'd been married before in her late teens, then divorced before college. Something to do with an unexpected pregnancy and subsequent miscarriage. But that is the easy road. Yes, it would work for her motivation not to want to get serious with anyone without serious potential...if she had sisters. But, if she has brothers, good catch, hard-working, stomped on by women brothers (I have one of these, hence my pondering) and since she sees how they get their hopes up, and dashed, she vows not to do the same.

OK. Not as strong a motivation in the traditional sense...but I feel it more. Weaker GMC, but I like it better because it is not overdone.

Now Joel. Joel, Joel, Joel. He's got a double GMC...but I don't want to reveal it too early. He wears one on his sleeve, and is terrified of the other. I've already given the man one heart attack, and now it's looking like I'll have to give him two to bring that to the foreground.

I feel like I know them better, though I've left them racing towards the elephants for nearly a week. Today is not the day to get back at it either. Late naps (BigBoy graduated preschool today!! Yeah!!), and tomorrow I camp out to get BabyBoy in preschool. Gotta love first come first serve. And Friday is s-i-l to be's graduation...so this weekend?

3 comments:

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Great characters, Jenna. Love the process.

Karen Erickson said...

Your characters sound interesting, Jenna. That GMC can give me a hard time too. I think you know where you're going with them, and you'll probably get flashes of inspiration as you're camped out in line at preschool, etc. :)

Have fun these next few busy days!

April said...

Kudos to you for letting all that learning sink in! I think the same thing is starting to happen with me.

Sounds like you've gotten a lot of it worked out. Good luck on getting it all settled!!