Saturday, October 27, 2007

Leah Hultenschmidt has demons all over her desk!


Emerald City Writers Conference - Day 1

I made it all the way to Bellevue without falling asleep! Quite the accomplishment, I assure you. I even found a killer parking spot and my room without a problem - except for the broken ice maker on my floor. But I digress...

Then it was time to find the conference gurus and sign up. Right in the lobby fellow Dreams & Desires and Samhain author Susan Lyons was waiting...with chocolate! She directed me to the registration downstairs where I picked up my goodie bag (more chocolate, bat erasers, a Kate Walker book and a mini notepad were the highlights). I found Shelli Stevens for a quick hug, then retreated to my room to relax.

At dinner I quickly latched on to PHS reviewer and the only person I've ever mat who may love category romance more than me, Marilyn Shoemaker. We gushed about the gift baskets and giggled as Jenna Petersen insisted on taking a picture of the three Jenna's at our table. She promised to put a 'Jenna is not fat, just pregnant' disclaimer on it, but we'll see...

Christina Dodd gave a funny talk about how there is no 'right way' to write a book, giving hilarious examples of how Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Jayne Ann Krentz, Julia Quinn, etc do it...I'll have to be sure to give her an appropriate hand gesture for her insights. In case you were wondering...Christina can write a book backwards and Lisa Kelypas bought herself a HUGE diamond ring for inspiration.

Then it was time for the editor and agent panel. They were asked all the obligatory questions - what is hot right now, what have they seen too much of, what do they hate most in submissions. It turns out hte answer to the last one is tape. Seriously...stop taping your submissions. And be sure to get the postage right. And nobody send Leah Hultenschmidt demon stories for a while...she has them all over her desk!

more later...

No comments: