Sunday, May 06, 2007

Reading instead of editing...

Ding dong, the book is done...well, drafted. I kept getting hung up on the little things, so just barrelled through, getting a workable skeleton I can hang the story on. Which is great in theory.

Except at this point everything is nearly as perfect as I can make it...and I am trying to polish the prose so it shines...and I keep reading.

Normally, reading is a good sign, it means things are stitched together right in the book. BUT when you are trying to edit, polish, layer...whatever you want to call it, reading is the enemy! When you read, you only notice the story and the characters.

Here's hoping my critique partner found some time to go through it. She never reads my stuff, she's too busy looking for themes, redundant phrases, had habits and was-zle infestations. Which is what I should be doing, but I find it impossible!

2 comments:

Debbie Mumford said...

Sounds like an excellent problem to have, Jenna!

BTW - I tagged you! Check out my blog for details.

Unknown said...

You...you...ugh. I've done this so many times there is nothing left!