Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thank Goodness for Thanksgiving

I'm not only refering to the way the holiday gives us an excuse to be gluttons and stuff ourselves full of turkey, potatoes, cranberries, and pumpkin pie. I mean the way it forces us all to slow down, take a breath, look around and be thankful for all we are blessed with.

Dee did a beautiful post about it, which inspired me to make my own top five list of things I am grateful for, and y'all should do the same.
  1. Healthy children. BabyBoy just had a major growth spurt, which came on the night after I organzied his closet for winter. As soon as I get in there again, he'll have nothing to wear. Probably better than belly shirts and capris, but they were shirts and pants last week!
  2. HubbaBubba. Not only is he cute as can be, he actually thinks I can pull this writing gig off. I wish he worked less, he wishes I worked less...I guess that means fifteen years after we met, we still kinda like each other.
  3. Weird families. In this day and age, coming from a long line of successful matrimony is unheard of, but both HubbaBubba and I have great role models. Maybe that's why I believe in love stories. That, and they are all crazy, which gives me plenty of things to ponder. Like why my mother-in-law will garden in a downpour, while her boy won't play golf in a sprinkle. Or how I can be content to never again leave the house, but my father would prefer to live the rest of his life on a cruise ship. People are just weird.
  4. Mi casa. We're outgrowing it, in that HubbaBubba has decided I need an office so he doesn't have to listen to me tapping the keys late into the night. But I love this house. We picked out everything, I brought my boys and my dawg home here, and I LOVE my neighbors. When is that going to happen again?
  5. Friendly types. I have a great group of girlfriends in my neighborhood whom I adore. I snatched my cousin back from across the Atlantic and drag her with me everywhere I can, which isn't enough since she has a life and all. My writing friends are wonderfully supportive, especially Laura, who has a magical way of saying, I hate this, but here's how to fix it. There are the moms from my boys schools who are incredibly generous with their time and ideas.

Oprah is right, there is something to this gratitude thing...

No comments: