Monday, December 17, 2007

The Giving Season

I have a love-hate relationship with this time of year. On one hand it is cold and wet and I would like to just snuggle under a blanket with a book and a cup of tea. On the other, there is so much to get done (even though all my holiday shopping is done - Hubba is another story. He still has his folks and the stockings to do...but I'm going to let him this year. I am!) that I never seem to find the time.

And don't get me started on cleaning. I think I hate it more than most, and then today I hurt my back cleaning...and found out my carpet cleaner was being held together with electricians tape. Grrreat. So, the carpets are still icky and my back hurts.

Even with all the holiday hassle of crowds and cleaning, there are opportunities at this time of year that don't come along every day. Charity organizations make it easy to contribute, and to show you children how to give back. There are always food drives (which is fun to see which foods my kids want to give, it is either the uber healthy or the junk), giving trees (which I understand why they want all new things, but if they let us do gently used I could give a HUGE box), the annual room clean-up to get rid of the toys not in use and make room for Santa's gifts, and this year because of a tragic flood, Bay's school is collecting school supplies for a local elementary school that lost everything.

And there are always the Salvation Army bell ringers. Great time of year to clean out the change from your car.

No comments: