Friday, January 19, 2007

I'm writing another romance novel and hoping for the best!

Pardon me, but I'm having an out of money moment, wondering if I should step off the gas on my romance writing and crank out some recipes and articles or pick up some merchandising work so we can buy a new TV (ours has the lovely habit of turning itself off. Constantly.)


It's hard to be a SAHM. You know your providing a valuable service to your family, but when you're paid in dirty diapers and laundry, it's hard to keep that in mind. Especially when paying those student loan bills each month. I'd read enough on the subject to know that by choosing to stay home I was turning my back on about a million dollars of earning potential. (Really!) So when I found these nifty calculators, I knew I had to share.


If you're thinking of taking on a second job, check the numbers with this calcualtor to see how much you'll actually bring home. Then, try this calculator (click on the Should my Spouse Work Too) to see if it's worth it. Mothers & More talks about some sacrifices (retirement savings, Social Security benefits, training) Mom's make without realizing it when then step out of the workforce.


It's kind of depressing, isn't it? Especially in light of all the advice we got in college to find your passion, do what you love and the money will follow. If you love raising your kids (dirty diapers on a 3 year old non-withstanding), how can you afford a new TV? I don't have the answer, but I do know I love reading and writing almost as much as I love watching my kids swim in a pillow ocean I'll have to clean up later. So, I'm writing another romance novel and hoping for the best!

5 comments:

Trish Wylie said...

YOU GO GIRL on the new ms's!!!

Over here - the sahm is considered the norm, but more and more men are starting to take it on... I think its difficult, cos you're also a freelance writer too - and traditionally we are supposed to starve for our art... ;)

I know when I gave up full time work to write full time it was the scariest decision I'd made in a long, long time! And for the first six months it was finacially tough!!! I guess, short of marryinga millionaire there's no guarantees with any job these days...sigh...

Anonymous said...

Guess what? You've finally hit the shelves down here! I took a pic for ya, it's in your inbox. Of course, the woman at the store kept eyeing me off like I was some crazy person taking photos of books on shelves.... but anyhoo...

Karen Erickson said...

Yeah it's hard, the SAHM thing and how you feel like you're not getting paid enough. Dirty diapers and dirty floors just don't cut it. And what I'm making so far w/ writing isn't enough to make a dent either. Someday, I hope. Someday...

Michelle said...

You rock Jenna and I know that this next novel is going to sell just like the others. I believe in you. From one SAHM to another, it is hard but it's worth it (yeah, ok, so I'm trying to convince myself just a little as well! LOL)

Stacy Dawn said...

Boy, do I know how you feel right now. I'm in the same boat. Gosh, I hate doing resumes.

Good luck on the book.