Friday, September 17, 2010

Floating Down the Amazon River...

More good news from Amazon today. Cathryn Cade just let me know COMPROMISING POSITIONS made the Amazon bestseller list for paperback romance (not just the freebie). How exciting!

All this Amazonian excitement has me thinking about how we rate book sales. New York Times and USA Today are the gold standard. The New York Times tallies sales from 4,000 bookstores, but not online retailers. USA Today covers 3,00 stores and includes online sales. Online sites tend to run their own bestseller list that updates minute-by minute thanks to a computer program. You can be the #1 seller for and hour, and then off the top ten list the next.

Scanning most bestseller lists an author is bound to wonder...how can I get on Oprah? That woman can boost a book like no other. Right now every site is wild about Jonathan Franzen's Freedom, thanks to the renewal of Oprah's book club. Women Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything by Geneen Roth is still on most lists.

I love the O, but I think her power lies in the suggestion. It's not magic what she does. She reccomends a book. I do that daily. But I don't 'know' millions of people the way she does. Afterall, she's spent a decade in people's living rooms. She's doing what all of us readers do, just on a grander scale.

So...in the tradition of Miss Winfrey...I'm really enjoying Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern. He's on all the lists, so he doesn't need my help. But I need a good belly laugh and his book has pages of them!

**and I found a new review **

"Jenna Bayley-Burke delivers it all, romance, humor, and great chemistry between her hero and heroine" - Just Really Great Books

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woo! Woo! You're an Amazon Best Seller! A flash of light! A spark of delight!

Time is the illusion, the achievement is awesome.