Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Performance Anxiety

Is there anything more daunting than the first page of a new manuscript? The blinking cursor, mocking you to be clever enough to keep a readers attention past that first sentence.

While watching The Unit (how good was it last night?!?) for moral support I started my latest story. Maybe. I've been struggling with where to start it, and haven't been able to find just the right spot. So...I found the latest point in the story I possibly could start it, and went with that.

Time to fortify myself with Girl Scout Thin Mints and read over what I wrote last night! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Jennifer McKenzie said...

I usually end up starting a new one when I'm in edits or a wip is giving me fits. So, often that first scene flows onto the page. I have to focus on not being distracted by the new and the shiny. LOL.
Good luck, Jenna.

Author Dara Edmondson said...

I so get that, Jenna. It's like jumping into a pool when you know it's freezing. You can rest assured that once you aclimate to the water, you'll be fine. But man, is that first splash a toughie!