Sunday, April 30, 2006

Romance Readers Luncheon Recap

Did anyone know I am a bundle of nerves? Well, I got over myself and went to the Romance Readers Luncheon yesterday. What a great time! I worried I wouldn't have anyone to talk to or sit with, had horrid flashbacks of junior high - I swear that was where my food issues started. I never once ate in the cafeteria after elementary school. But I digress...

Elizabeth Boyle was the keynote speaker...and she's hilarious! Oh my gawsh! Everyone was giggling as she worked us through Mr. Ed, Oprah, women's magazines, and why we all need more romance! Every author there was friendly and personable, Elizabeth and Lucy Monroe especially.

But unlike most romance events I've attended - which are admittedly few - this one was stuffed with readers! People like me who never go without a book in their purse, and one in the car, and another in the diaper bag. Heck, I have one in the stroller. The women at my table loved historicals and so gave me some authros to look for there.

I even got to meet some people I 'know' from online. It's amazing to find people with similar passions for reading. Each author got their own 'table' and the readers sat with them. I piggybacked onto Lucy Monroe because I didn't have my 'own' table. Such a blessing. She's a real role model of how I want my career to go. Except I don;t think I could handle things moving as quickly as hers has. I think I'm nervy now!

The only downside? I need a new bookshelf. I only have a 3 foot, 2 shelf jobby. I need a six footer. When we arrived they gave us a book bag with three books, then I won a door prize and got two more. A raffle for book baskets where the proceeds go to help the local literacy program netted me two baskets. Yes, I was a lucky gal today. Just look what I took home!




4 comments:

Karen Erickson said...

Wow! Look at all of those books! You lucky girl. ;)

I went to RWA Nationals last year and I brought home so many books it was ridiculous. But so exciting! Are you going this year?

Have fun reading!

I'm killing time instead of writing. I'm a bad girl.

Shelli Stevens said...

Oh Jenna how fun! I'm jealous. Aren't you in Oregon? I think Elizabeth Boyle is one of our chapter people, unless i'm smoking crack and thinking of someone else. Entirely possible. Hee hee. I'm in Seattle by the way!

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Oh my gosh! You got to breath the same air with Lucy Monroe? I'm so jealous. I love her books.
I wanted to go so badly but I only have so many weekends...yadayadayada. I hope you got to encourage some readers to read "Just One Spark". I think this one will skyrocket for you.

Angela's Designs said...

I read Bet Me the other month... it made me smile. I enjoyed it. A few of the others I have, but haven't read yet.