Wednesday, October 25, 2006

MAKING TIME

To get your NaNo drafted in November a few things will have to be set aside so you have the time to write. For me, the first thing to go is the internet. I refuse to let myself on the internet until I have met my daily word count goal.

  • Make a list, and check it twice. To keep myself from logging on periodically, I make a list of things I need to check on the net. Before I get online, I double check to make sure I really need to know the price of summer-themed scrapbook paper today. If it can wait until December, or getting ahead on my word count, it does.
  • Junk it. Set your junk email filter on high. Mail from family and friends still comes through. Only check the junk folder if you have time.
  • Garbage Day. Empty your recycle bin and temporary internet files to make your computer run faster.
  • Put away the surfboard. Blog surfing, forum haunting, message boards and the like are on restriction. Just like kids don’t get to watch television without doing their homework, no internet candy for you until you’ve got your words in.
  • Reward Yourself. On days you make your word count goal. Do more than give yourself a pat on the back. Indulge in your favorite guilty pleasure.

1 comment:

Karen Erickson said...

So true, so true. The internet is the biggest distraction EVER.