Thursday, July 27, 2006

Romance Writers Report : Part Tres

HUMOR: WHAT IT IS AND WHAT IT ISN'T - Jane McBride Choate

Use embarrassing situations from life to bring levity - toilet paper on the shoe, panty hose runs...
but...but...but...humor is not one liners!?! Ah, man. Come on! I like those. I can do those. Geesh. Back to the drawing board.

BREAKING UP WITH THE BAD IDEA - Betina Krahn

She had me from "beware the spellbinding title." I am such a victim of that! If it is OK for Betina King and her 26 book deep backlist to throw in the towel on a book, we all can!

IDENTIFYING YOUR CORE STORY - Julie Rowe

Many writers gave the same underlying concept in all their stories - well, most of them. This core story is what comes naturally to you.

Great. Either I don't have a core story, or it has multiple personalities.
  • JUST ONE SPARK - healing
  • BREAKING HIS RULES - rescue
  • STRIPPED - acceptance
  • THE GIRL SHE USED TO BE - 2nd chance
  • IF YOU SAY SO - acceptance
  • FOR KICKS - healing
  • COME FOR DINNER - rescue

The 'healing' is easiest for me to write, 'acceptance' the most rewarding, 'rescue' the most fun...I don't fit neatly. More of an accepting and healing while saving them from themselves.

1 comment:

Julie S said...

FINALLY got my RWR today! It was definitely a good issue, especially the article on humor! And I think my core story is second chances.