Thursday, October 09, 2008

Thurday 13 : 34th edition (I counted)

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?



So, I'm reading Wishcraft and it has an exercise where you write down who you are. Quickly, without thinking...so here goes... (you try it too)

  1. Mother
  2. Wife
  3. Daughter
  4. Author
  5. Friend
  6. Sister
  7. Collector
  8. Reader
  9. Thinker
  10. Mini-van driver (hey, they aren't sexy but they are practical as all heck)
  11. Artist
  12. Shopper
  13. Woman

OK...so then Wishcraft has you take a hard look at that list. How many are what you do, not who you are? Unless you LOVE what you do, it's not who you are. Thank goodness I did this now, not when I was a bitch (manager) or pimp (staffing manager).

Some of it is semantics. Author would change to writer. I love writing, the publicity buy-my-book dance is exhausting. The mini-van thing is silly as it has and will change through the years. I think the collector is related to the shopper. I like things. Touching them, having them, lining them up just so. It makes me happy. No clue why.

The book reccomends letting go of all the lables, which is good I guess. But some of them bring me joy. I'm proud to be someone's wife (14 years in, no less), thrilled to be someone's mother (3 times over) and every woman should have woman on that list (IMHO).

So...what's on your list?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea, I'll have to try it. I think I'll have a few of the same as you. Happy T13!

Paige Tyler said...

Cool TT!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://tinyurl.com/4zejcp

Anonymous said...

My first thought was stuff like, "silly", "achy", "solid", "flaky". I didn't think of a single title until I saw your list, then I got a bunch of them. I see nothing wrong with titles, so long as you remember that isn't all.

Inez Kelley said...

Cool list.I fit most of those myself, except I drive an SUV.

Shelley Munro said...

I'm a cyclist and a dog-walker. I like both of those positions. :)
Great idea for a TT, Jenna.

Anonymous said...

What a cool exercise...definitely have the wife-mother-writer thing down. Not so interested in the employee label though...

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Awesome list!!!! I'll have to try this. I'm kind of afraid to.

At least I'd be doing this list. Imagine if someone else made this list for me. LOL.

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea! I'll have to try it sometime. :) Have a great weekend!