Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Synopses Don't ALWAYS Suck

Yes, you read that right. I, um, found a use for a synopsis. I can't talk badly about them anymore.

I've always been a panster, making things up as I go, but I've been stalled out on Shattered Expectations since...December. It's been trickling in, but there's no real momentum.


So, I wrote the synopsis and had a bit of an epiphany...the story is over. I was trying to make the story arc longer than the emotional arc...which wasn't working. Without emotion, the story had no momentum. So...now to revise it so that it can end where the emotional arc ends, without any loose strings to tie up.

Yes, I learned that synopses can be useful. If only I'd figured that out 4 months ago! Here's hoping it actually gets me to write a synopsis before writing the book...well, at least halfway through!

1 comment:

therese patrick, author said...

I sort of figured this out last month too. I just didn't call it a synopsis, so it was easier to work on. :)