Monday, May 08, 2006

Slacker Mom, Slacker Wife...Slacker Writer?

I went on a reading blitz this weekend and picked up Muffy Mead-Ferro's Confessions of a Slacker Wife. I loved Confessions of a Slacker Mom and its realistic approach to parenting - basically you're not going to ruin your kids if they play outside in the dirt instead of with flashcards. Confessions of a Slacker Wife lets everyone off the hook in the marriage department too.

If creating a gourmet meal for 20 on a weeknight stresses you out...don't do it. Think about why you want to have the party - to enjoy your friends - and let anything that gets in the way of that go. I can't abide by some of her child rearing ideas - like only bathing yourself or the kids when you look dirty. My boys are boys, and odds are they have gunk in places I can't see. And they spread the gunk around.

Since I've read both Slacker books, I'm wondering if I ought to incorporate the concept into my writerly life. Scary, but it might make me less stressed out. If I volunteered for fewer online commitments I might gain some extra time, though I'd lose promotion for my book. If I focused on just one kind of writing - novel, category, short, flash, poetry, articles, recipes - I'd be more prolific and up my odds of having SOMETHING catch. That makes sense, but it's the variety that I find comforting. Ah well. Maybe the next self help tome will be my salvation. Or, my editor could simply call and offer me a two book deal. Yeah, the second thing.

3 comments:

Kelley Nyrae said...

Those sound like books I need to read!!! I always feel bad when I cant get everything done that I wanted. I just need to relax. Much easier said then done!

Fiona Lowe said...

The book sounds interesting..the title however is a massive therapy session. Why impose such a word on us when it sounds like her suggestions are more like prioritising than being slack? Unless of course the word slack has a different definition in the states than it does in AUstralia.

Unknown said...

This 1st book was THE SLACKER MOM, a play on THE SOCCER MOM. Though, Slacker could be different in Oz. Spastic certainly is.