Thursday, March 23, 2006

Rolling On A River

I think I've discovered why I hate to plot. It is such a waste of time. I came up with plenty of good material for this latest story, Come For Dinner, when I did the First Draft in 30 Days method. Which gives you an outline, not a draft by the way. But as I write I find out new things about my characters and come up with new ideas for how the story should flow. And then I wonder, my editor like the original synopsis, maybe I should try to write it scene by scene like the outline mandated.

But I don't want to. I may be burning myself. My revisions on the last story were to pull the plotline back towards the original synopsis. But then, I got those revisions wrong, so I decided to take my CPs advice and just have fun. I think she said that because she's tired of me being a crab apple - hey, 3 rejections will do that to a girl.

Back to having fun with Come For Dinner. Almost done. Almost. Should be done by Friday so I can get it to the CP by the weekend, and to the editor early next week.

2 comments:

Karen Erickson said...

Jenna, you amaze me at how fast you can write. And I don't like plotting either. I plot a little bit, throw myself into the story, find out new details as I write, rewrite the outline, add to it, whatever, and then I continue on. At least, that's been my method w/ my current wip and I'm diggin' what I've come up with. Congrats on being *almost* done! Yea!

April said...

Definately go with your CP's advice. I can plot all day, but I never end up following the plot. My characters seem to run away with the story.

Good luck getting CFD done by Friday! Yay!!