Thursday, March 23, 2006

A Cluttered Mind

By looking around my bedroom you can see I am chasing down the end of a book. How? Well, I write in my bedroom. Sitting on my bed, hunched over my laptop. Someday I will get a desk and an ergonomically correct chair. But that is three sales out. For now, I just type wherever, whenever I can.

But the clutter gets to me. By my too small bookshelf I have stacks of books I've meant to read but have been too busy writing, newspaper and magazine pages that I saved thinking they'd be useful for a story some day, research books like my visual dictionary and thesaurus, notebooks that probably don't contain any notes about this book, but I flip through them whenever I get stuck anyway, socks that I pull off and on depending on the temoerature of the house, catalogs that I use to get a mental picture of the furniture or clothes my characters have, a folder full of all my First Draft in 30 Days worksheets that a rarely open, cookbooks for pictures and menu ideas (heroine is a caterer), diet books because I have a terrible case of writers butt right now, a load of laundry I meant to fold today - make that two loads, magazines I haven;t had time to read but snuck up here to keep my husband from throwing them out.

And that is just the top layer. Here's hoping I finish this book so I can clean this mess up before it gets so deep my dog gets lost in it.

1 comment:

Laura Rose said...

Och, the housework! After spending 3 solid hours cleaning last Tuesday, I've drawn up a roster for myself! Gah. Why? Cuz I had to clean out the vacuum cylinder 3 times before I finish the whole house! Bad Laura.

But I know what you mean.

Conversely though, right now I'm sitting in a spotless, clinical, office devoid of my usual pizzazz! There's just no happy medium, is there?

PS I'm home!