Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Burn Baby Burn

I think good tension is better than the sex in romance novels. Too often it seems writers have studied the line and want to put the sex scene at a certain word count instead of staying true to their story. Sex because that's the chapter we're in? Egad, no thanks.

Maybe that's what's missing, why people are thinking category is too formular. I LOVE sexual tension. There is an inevitibility to it, and you know fireworks are coming...not the push button gas fireplace those complaining about category read about - but honest to goodness build the cabin of logs and have the kindling and the paper and woo-hoo, here's a match. Dagnabbit where did that wind come from, oh here use my lighter and then the darned flue is shut, okay wide open, lots of circulation, and FINALLY a roaring flame, sure to burn forever if we tend to it.

THAT is what I want to read. And write.

2 comments:

Jodie said...

Connie mason was alike that. You always knew they were going to get it on between page 110-130

I like sexual tension too although my heroines all prefer to be angry at the hero - and often so they should be!!!

Karen Erickson said...

I agree with you 100%. All that tension and push and pull. You know it's going to happen but you can still find the anticipation oh so delicious.